Nothing too flashy, but here's the first test model for a Pagan Rus/Jomsviking/Viking Saga warband:
I'm experimenting with zenithal priming (go here for a great explanation) and a quicker technique blending washes and line highlights. The results aren't outstanding, but they're certainly passable, and more than minimum tabletop quality. And as a bonus I think once I really get the hang of it, models painted this way should take about half as long as what I'd done in the past.
The only thing I'm really hung up on is the shields. LBMS transfers are the gold standard for Saga shield designs, but unfortunately they don't make anything that fits the Rus rectangular shields. I had hoped to use one of their larger round designs in the middle of the shield and either fill in the edges or just have it be a design that didn't fill the whole shield, but after getting a painted model and a cut out transfer I just don't think it'll look right. This means I'm going to either:
- have some models with bare wooden or metal shields
- need to hand paint some fancy-pants designs
Either one could look incongruous against the models with round shields who DO get transfers, so I'm still up in the air. I miiiight order some smaller transfers and see how it looks if the whole design fits as a circle in the middle of a big tower shield, but I'm skeptical that it'd work.
Looking forward to getting this warrior some painted friends though! I need to finish three more by the end of the month to meet my Tale of Saga Painters goal.
Cheers!


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.